A simple appetiser that's bound to be a crowd-pleaser. Also a fantastic alternative to chicken popcorn for any vegetarian/vegan individuals.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 3 king mushrooms
- Five spice
- White pepper
- Soy sauce
- Oyster sauce
- Plain flour
- Corn flour
- Cube the mushroom into bite sizes
- Create a marinade of 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, a pinch of white pepper and a pinch of five spice.
- Toss the mushrooms into the marinade and mix well.
- Mix 4 tbsp of flour with 2 tbsp of corn flour, and toss the mushrooms in to dust. Clear off any excess dusting.
- Heat oil to 170 degrees and shallow fry the mushrooms until cooked through and light in colour. Leave it to rest.
- Heat the oil to 180 degrees, and fry again until dark golden in colour. This will crisp up the coat and remove excess grease.
- Season with a mix of white pepper and salt to taste.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes